What is the DEIB Toolbox?
The DEIB Toolbox provides support for campus efforts to promote diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in your department or unit, and throughout the KU campus.
Who is it for?
We invite usage of the DEIB Toolbox from all campus community members including students, staff, faculty, and campus administrators. Consistent with KU’s RISE framework, all campus members are charged with making KU an inclusive campus which creates opportunities and experiences for all Jayhawks to thrive and to present as their whole selves. We want to ensure that our polices, practices and procedures align with our actions and desired outcomes.
Navigating the DEIB Toolbox
Click on the DEIB Toolbox tabs under Orientation and Resources for information on:
- What the DEIB Toolbox is, and who the intended users are
- How to use the DEIB Toolbox: Getting started
- Working Together for a Diverse and Inclusive Environment and
- Leadership Resources for Administrators, Faculty and Staff, and Students , including information on Understanding Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging.
For guidance in implementing different phases of the DEIB Action Cycle, click on any of the circles:
- Engage – Work with your unit chair, department I committee to help create and/ or execute a DEIB/RISE plan for your unit.
- Assess – Work with the Office of DEIB’s Toolbox team to align your unit-level plan with our assessment tools for campus wide transparency of all DEIB related efforts.
- Plan – Be involved with your unit or department planning via committee, planning your personal engagement with DEIB on campus and tracking your personal and community work to curate a culture of belonging on campus.
- Act – Visit our links in the DEIB Toolbox to identify programs, practices, and events that can expand your knowledge of intersectionality and cultural diversity at KU.
- Evaluate – Track your work and progress as a student, staff or faculty member so you can communicate your efforts in your annual evaluations, service engagement, and/or campus participation. For chairs, directors, and administrators, use the DEIB Toolbox assessment tool to upload your plan and track progress from semester to semester.
The Toolbox orientation on Working Together for a Diverse and Inclusive Environment offers two guidance documents to assist your unit in planning:
- The KU DEIB Planning Worksheet (pdf)provides support for developing a shared vision as well as mission, goals, strategies, and action plans for advancing DEIB in your unit or program, one that aligns with KU values and our campus DEIB vision.
- The companion document, Realizing Goals and Strategies for Advancing DEIB (pdf), provides illustrative goals and potential strategies to consider as you develop a plan that fits the aims, resources, and context of your unit.
Partners in developing the DEIB Toolbox
The DEIB Toolbox was developed by the KU Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging, in partnership with the Center for Community Health and Development at the University of Kansas.
Financial support toward the development of this toolbox has been provided by: